The Ritchie County Historical Society was formed in 1973 and was incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation in 1976.
Old Stone House Museum
Pennsboro B & O Railroad Depot
Pennsboro B & O Depot Trailhead
We invite you to view our current projects which have been made possible by countless hours of volunteer labor and donations received by our members and interested public.

Our Store offers several publications and maps which will prove helpful to those researching family genealogy in Ritchie County.

Join Us Today and help preserve the history and heritage of Ritchie County.

Tours, Hours
and Location

History and
Research

Printable
Documents

Pennsboro B & O Railroad Depot

Copyright © 2015-16  - Ritchie County Historical Society
All Rights Reserved
Website by Hawk Mountain

 

Pennsboro Railroad Depot
Early photo of the B & O Depot in Pennsboro

This Depot served the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as a passenger and freight depot until it was closed in 1974.
 
Although the Depot was built in 1883, the railroad actually began operations in 1857 and a wooden depot was built at that time. The Grafton to Parkersburg railroad was constructed by the Northwestern Virginia Railroad and in 1865 it became the Parkersburg Branch of the B & O.

The closing of the Depot in 1974 was followed by the removal of the tracks in 1988.  By 1990, condemnation proceedings were being considered for the abandoned building. Through the efforts of local citizens who formed a “Save The Depot” group, the Depot was saved.

The building and parking lot, now a Trailhead for the North Bend Rail Trail, are leased by the Ritchie County Historical Society whose restoration efforts have resulted in the Depot serving the community as a railroad museum and community center.

B & O Railroad Depot
For further information about the Depot and/or to arrange for a tour by appointment, contact the historical society via email at: info@ritchiehistoricalsociety.com
or contact the following: Charles Dotson, 304-659-3962 or David & Susan Scott, 304-643-2738.
Information and Tours

Our Officers
President - David Scott
1st Vice President - Charles Dotson
2nd Vice President - Mike Nichols
Secretary/Treasurer - Susan Scott

The Depot will be open the first and third Saturdays of June, July and August, 2016, from 9:00am until 1:00pm.

Watts Museum Oil & Gas Exhibit
On Display at Pennsboro Depot

The Royce J. and Caroline R. Watts Museum, at West Virginia University, has loaned its exhibit, "Light/Lubricant/Liniment: The Early
Years of Oil Production and Consumption in West Virginia, 1860-1900" to the Ritchie County Historical Society for display at the Pennsboro Depot.
The exhibit focuses on the development of West Virginia's oilfields and explores oil production and usage in late 19th century America.
Using techniques developed by salt well drillers, early petroleum entrepreneurs launched a search for oil in the mid 1800s. In 1860, Western
Virginians successfully struck oil near Burning Springs (Wirt County), triggering a migration of oilmen in the area and the rapid development of
numerous oilfields.
Through historical photographs, archival documents, model oil derricks and displays of early drilling tools, Light/Lubricant/Liniment looks back at the role of West Virginia in America's early oil industry.
The exhibit also showcase a variety of objects that illustrate the three main uses of liquid petroleum in the late 1800s - as a lighting oil, a
lubricating oil and a medicinal oil. The exhibit includes objects representing those three uses.

The Pennsboro Depot will be open for tours Saturday, June 11th,
9am to 1pm. The Depot will also be open for tours Saturday, June 25th.
It will then be open the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of July and August.
The Depot may also be opened by appointment by calling Charles Dotson at: 304-659-3962.
Admission is free but a donation jar is available to those who are inclined to support the historical society's projects.
aaaaaaaaaaaaiii