The Ritchie County Historical Society was formed in 1973 and was incorporated as a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation in 1976.
Old Stone House Museum
Pennsboro B & O Railroad Depot
Pennsboro B & O Depot Trailhead
We invite you to view our current projects which have been made possible by countless hours of volunteer labor and donations received by our members and interested public.

Our Store offers several publications and maps which will prove helpful to those researching family genealogy in Ritchie County.

Join Us Today and help preserve the history and heritage of Ritchie County.

Tours, Hours
and Location

History and
Research

Printable
Documents

Old Stone House Museum

Copyright © 2015-16  - Ritchie County Historical Society
All Rights Reserved
Website by Hawk Mountain

 

Stone House
Stone House prior to 1908.

The Stone House is one of the oldest structures located between Clarksburg and Parkersburg and is the oldest landmark in Ritchie County.

John Webster started construction in 1810 and used it as an “Ordinary” for travelers along the Old State Road that went from Clarksburg to Marietta, Ohio. It was also used as an Inn for the stage coach line that also went to Marietta.

In the 1830s, when the Northwestern Turnpike was constructed to Parkersburg, travelers could choose between stagecoaches to Marietta or Parkersburg.

The James Martin family owned the Stone House from 1815 to 1908 when it was sold to A.J. Ireland who constructed the frame addition. The Ireland Section, also referred to as the boarding house, more than doubled the number of rooms in the Inn.

The Ritchie County Historical Society purchased the Stone House from the Ireland family on June 20, 1977 and converted it to the Old Stone House Museum.

It is an “Evolution Style” museum with artifacts and memorabilia from many different periods of the county’s history.

Stone House Museum
For further information about the museum and/or to arrange for a tour by appointment, contact the society via email at: info@ritchiehistoricalsociety.com
or contact the following: Fred Lewis, 304-659-2681 or David & Susan Scott, 304-643-2738.
Museum Information and Tours

Our Officers
President - David Scott
1st Vice President - Charles Dotson
2nd Vice President - Mike Nichols
Secretary/Treasurer - Susan Scott

The regional genealogy and history library located in the Stone House Museum is available by appointment.

The Stone House Museum will be open the second and fourth Saturdays of June, July and August, 2016, from 9:00am until 1:00pm.
aaaaaaaaaaaaiii